This is it. My last day. It feels like I’ve just arrived at the other end of warp drive and apart from the lingering confusion of how I got here so fast, I’m much better for the journey.
Here’s what I learned on the way:
- Stop being scared of bold colours- a lesson I’ve been trying to get a handle on for 3 years. For the illustrations in one of my final projects, I chose colours based on how much they intimidated me. This unusual dousing stick led to some very rich illustrations, just short of psychedelic.
- Typography will always have more facets and intricacies than I ever thought was possible. And each detail is worth exploring and savouring. Typeface relationships contain all the nuances of love and hate of human relationships. So don’t everybody be smashing Didot and Bodoni together. That’s just too much attitude and too little communication for a relationship.
- “You can catch more flies with honey…”. Something Barry repeats every time a project needs to get done and the situation is getting more tense or frustrating. It’s true time and time again. Also, as with anything that’s worth having, it hones patience and increases understanding.
- Design controls the flow of information. It holds a lot of power in shaping and filtering what gets communicated. I live a lot of my life listening to wisdom from fictional characters, but I think this is one all designers should listen to:
“With great power comes great responsibility.” – Uncle Ben.
Put your design where your life is; promote the principles that create a better society and not the ones that offer the most money.
Here are some moments that stuck with me:
- When Barry said: “I’m like your work dad…”
- My second day when Jodi said: “Jess is my home slice.”
- All the times Amanda showed me the ropes.
This has been a great and productive summer
thanks to the amazing team at Hypenotic and their
big, contagious, hearts.
I hope we will always be like Helvetica and Garamond.