Call to designers, we’re hiring!
We’re a small team of design thinkers and doers working primarily out of a cozy, natural light-filled space in a swell neighbourhood.
We often eat together. Salad. Momos (Tibetan dumplings). Cookies. Leftovers.
Our clients are nice people usually engaged in systems or sector changing work. About half are non-profits.
Full-time 3 month design contract (March to May) with the possibility to extend. If not right away, we’re still looking to develop relationships for future work.
One of our designers is taking a short secondment to try her hand at teaching. You’ll be stepping in to support our second designer by running with several projects during this time. We take a collaborative approach to design, and while each project has a design lead, all projects move forward with the support, critique and feedback of the team.
Projects may include (based on fit):
- Web/mobile design with an AODA focus (Figma or other)
- Designing promotional materials for an annual event (print & digital), report & template design (Indesign)
- Narrative data visualisation for advertisement (print).
We’re looking for an “Intermediate” designer. In our environment that means:
- You’ve done more than just worked your way through a bootcamp.
- You have graphic design underpinnings, more than sitting next to production designers in an agency.
- You don’t need to lead the charge, but you can run with phases of a project and collaborate on the rest.
- You’re comfortable asking “why” and dig for root problems instead of solving surface tensions.
- Solid graphic design fundamentals.
- Branding/campaign design and/or
- Web design, high-fi prototyping, working with developers.
- Prototyping: Figma, Sketch, XD, or other.
- Production: Adobe suite with a production workflow mindset.
- If you have niche expertise, like AODA or illustration, we’d love to give it room to breathe.
- Pragmatic people-person: Half of bringing good work to life is negotiating.
- Comfortable in a fluid environment: We work on multiple projects for multiple clients at any given time. We’re not a high-stress environment (quite the opposite), but you need to like variety.
- Accountable: Our clients’ problems are our problems. And this role needs someone who can maintain a grasp on the big picture while they help the pieces move along.
- Web citizen: You don’t have to live there, but you have to enjoy visiting.
- Conscience: We help people doing progressive things. Which means we care about people and the planet just as much as they do.
How We Work
You know how it’s always easier to solve other people’s problems? Well, that’s what we do for a living. Like Lucy, from Peanuts. But instead of using our powers for parsing, planning, and persuasion to torment Charlie Brown, we use them to help clients, their communities, and their endeavours thrive.
On the surface, it’s that simple. Below the surface, a blend of science and magic goes into helping people bring their dreams to life. So here’s a plain-language articulation of what Hypenotic does and what we need your help with.
People come to us with specific communications needs. They know they need to look or sound better or different, become visible and relevant to more or new people. Sometimes they have ideas about how to do it. Other times they don’t.
We collaborate with each to articulate their challenge as an equation that lends itself to solving.
After this framing, we work closely and iteratively with clients to combine what they know with what we know and what we learn by working together into communications, strategies, systems, tools, and tactics.
Sometimes the output is the powerful sense of self that comes from Brand Strategy. Sometimes it’s a Visual Identity that sends the right messages. Other times the result is a Content Strategy. Still others a specific communication tool like a website, report, or data visualization. Whatever-form follows function.
A Bit of Background
We’re a founding Canadian B-Corp on a mission to manifest a generative economy. We started in 1998, but we’re a bunch of life-long learners so we kind of feel like we’re always starting. Starting locally, we promote a healthy work-life balance, are serious about making it possible for people to bring their whole selves to work, offer decent benefits packages, are flexible about hours and remote work. We support the work of local community organizations and volunteer for initiatives that move us.
Think you should be here? Apply!
Send us an e-mail (email@example.com) telling us a little about yourself. Please attach your resume and/or include a link to your personal site as well.
Also, we’re an equal opportunity employer. If you need accommodations to participate in an interview or while working with us, we’ll gladly work with you.
Hope to hear from you soon!